Articles
Social & Community News
12 April 2019

Rustenburg – On Saturday 6 April, five of the historic buildings on the Kedar Heritage Lodge premises, Rustenburg, received the recognition as places of historical significance with the unveiling of a blue plaque on each.

Blue plaques are internationally recognised as symbols, marking places of historic significance.
The plaques supply the name of the site or building, as well as a short description of its significance. Each also contains a quick response code (QR code) for smart devices, which will link the user to more info about the site or building on the internet.


The plaques were unveiled in conjunction with the Magaliesberg Association for Culture and Heritage, represented by its chairman, Mike Benn, with Andre Wedepohl, business development manager for Recreation Africa Leisure Industries, acting as master of ceremonies. Reportedly, this is the most blue plaques to be unveiled on a single site; in this case the farm Boekenhoutfontein.


The unveilings were done by some of South Africa’s most renowned historians and experts on the specific buildings and history of the area. Four of the historic buildings are houses which, at some stage, were either occupied by President Paul Kruger or his son Pieter and the fifth is the old schoolhouse. All five buildings are adjacent to each other. 


The oldest house which received its blue plaque is a semi modest hartbees house built in the 1840’s, by the original farm owner Rudolph Bronkhorst. Its plaque was unveiled by Dr. Julius Pistorius, an archaeologist with a rich knowledge of the house and the era it was built in.


The unveiling at the first Paul Kruger house, built in 1873, was done by Vincent Carruthers, well-known environmentalist, historian and writer. The second Kruger house, built round about the 1880’s, received its plaque fittingly by the man behind Kedar and its drive to protect this heritage, Robert Foresyth, CEO and owner of Recreation Africa Hotels and Resorts Ltd.


Dr. Garth Benneyworth, head of the department: heritage studies at Sol Plaatjies University, unveiled the blue plaque in front of the Pieter Kruger house, while the renowned military historian Ret. Maj. John Pennefather, had the privilege to do the unveiling for the old school house. The house and probably also the school were erected by Pieter Kruger in the 1890’s.


Kedar Heritage Lodge, a mere 25 minutes’ drive from Rustenburg CBD is also known for one of the largest Anglo Boer war memorabilia collections in the world. The addition of the blue plaques reconfirms the importance of the heritage maintained on its premises.

At the plaque in front of the Pieter Kruger house, from left: Dr. Garth Benneyworth, Robert Foresyth, Ret. Maj. John Pennefather, Dr. Julius Pistorius, Vincent Carruthers, Mike Benn and Andre Wedepohl. Photo: Charl du Plessis (snap2art@gmail.com). 

 

Share this article with a friend...